Baseball is not for everyone. This has been hard for me to admit because I love everything about the game. However, for some people baseball is is not enjoyable. And to be fair, it does require some patience and if you don't understand what you're watching, I can assume it gets dull very quickly. But those who do understand the rules of baseball should have at least some appreciation for it. I truly believe this because there are so many elements to the game and different ways to look at it. Sometimes I look at the game from a scientific point of view. I look at statistics, how hard a pitcher is throwing, and the hitter's tendencies. I ask myself what are the chances there is a base hit? What pitch should the pitcher throw in this situation? Would I call for a bunt? These are questions every good coach will ask himself, but looking at the game this way is not just for the coaches. Over time, i have come to appreciate how anything can happen in a baseball game. Some things I have seen personally and on T.V. I would not have believed had I not seen it myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sW5Uc--TsM
There are so many factors that someone can account for to explain what happened in a play. This also makes baseball a game of chance and uncertainty. Small things such as the wind and temperature during the game can have the most significant outcome to a game. If a pitcher throws a fastball a quarter of an inch closer to the plate on the outside corner, it can result in a home run as opposed to a ground ball out or swing and miss.
Baseball can also be viewed as an art. I personally think there is nothing more relaxing than going to a ballpark on a warm, sunny day and just observe. I like to observe how effortless the players make the game look. Pitchers throw the ball at unbelievable velocity and don't even look like they are trying to throw hard. Hitters hit the ball over 400 ft. against the best pitchers in the world and trot around the bases like it's their job and they do this every day. Well, I guess it is technically their job but who can honestly say playing baseball is like a real job?
No comments:
Post a Comment